The Société Immobilière du Golf, a property holding company, was established on 27 November 1934. Her Royal Highness the Grand Duchess Charlotte gifted to the company lands belonging to the royal family. The Administration of the royal estates retained a substantial proportion of the company’s shares, the remainder being divided up between a number other of shareholders.
Work on the course began early in 1935 based on plans drawn up by Major J. C. Symonds covering an area of 52 hectares and was scheduled for completion by June 1936. At the same time building work began on the Clubhouse, which was designed by the architect Weis and officially opened on 1 May 1936. However, it was in 1935 that the first shots were played and lessons taken.
Saturday 16 April 1936 saw the establishment of the Association Sportive Grand Ducal which leased and managed the facilities and numbered some 200 members. In June 1935 the Grand Duchess authorised the Golf Club to fly her orange and blue colours.
During the war, in February 1942 to be precise, the occupying German forces enacted a decree dissolving the Société Immobilière. The Company survived a period of inactivity until October 1944, when it resumed its activities following the Grand Ducal decree of 13 July 1944. This period of inactivity naturally placed the Association Sportive in a delicate position. The shareholders of the Société Immobilière nonetheless encouraged the Golf Club Grand Ducal to continue its activities and helped it to carry out the necessary renovations. Although the front nine holes survived the war unscathed, the second nine unfortunately suffered severe damage as they were used for manoeuvres by the allied forces.
In 1946 an agreement was reached with the Allied forces office for mutual assistance on compensation for the damage caused and by 1948 the Golf Club Grand Ducal could again boast an 18 hole course in pristine condition.
In 1973, with the Club’s growing membership, it was decided to extend the Clubhouse to what we see today, although it has been partially rebuilt following a fire that destroyed one wing in 1986.
In 1994 six practice holes were added to the 18 hole course.
Since 1937, the Golf Club Grand Ducal has been the head office of the EGA (European Golf Association).
Presidents1936 - 1956 : Max Lambert
1957 - 1966 : Raymond Blanpain
1967 - 2004 : Marco Lambert
2004 - : Bernard Clasen
1936 - 1946 : Gaston Barbanson